Our conventional dairy system has been a cow’s nightmare for decades (just ask Bu), now we’re seeing the devastating consequences for all those involved: farmer suicides, grain company-held mortgages, large-scale cow slaughter. Tragic consequences of a broken system.
While we are proud our compost helps to support organic dairies trying to make it work sustainably & humanely, we are saddened by what we are now witnessing after decades of conventional dairy production. It’s time for a change.
From the San Franciso Chronicle:
Article by Stacy Finz
The nation’s drought and high corn prices are devastating California’s $8 billion dairy industry to the point where farmers can’t afford to feed their cows - and their professional trade organization has been regularly referring despondent dairymen to suicide hotlines.
Tags: Easy, Going Green, It's not
- 07 Orange County, San Diego, & Inland Empire Community Garden Program
- 07 LA, Ventura, & Santa Barbara County Community Garden Program
- 09 Santa Barbara County Community Garden Special
- 09 San Diego County Community Garden Special
- 09 Los Angeles County Community Garden Special
- 09 Riverside County Community Garden Special
- 09 San Bernardino County Community Garden Special
- 09 San Fernando Valley Community Garden Special
- 09 Orange County Community Garden Special
- 09 Ventura County Community Garden Special
- 23 Soilove’s Norma Bonilla shares the love
- 15 California Expected to Lose 100 Dairy Farms
- 05 Garden BootCamp Teleseminar from Ardenwoods Nursery